XTREAMER using Linux kernel without releasing source code

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 00:14:12 CET 2010

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 4:09 AM, Angus Gratton <gus at projectgus.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 14:38 +0100, Ash wrote:
>> the xtreamer / xtreamer pro is using GPL software (Linux, PHP,
>> lighthttpd) for many components without
>> providing source code for recent firmware releases.
>
> Just from my two minutes of googling, I can provide some more context
> for readers here:
>
> - These devices seem to be small embedded streaming media players.
>
> - There is some source online[1]. However their page specifically says
> that the latest release firmware is using a newer kernel than the posted
> source, and also that for their Realtek libraries "this code might
> differ from the actual GPL code used on Xtreamer devices." So absolutely
> nothing there, in itself, indicates compliance.
>
> However, it does indicate that the company is aware of GPL on some
> level.
>

> My questions for Ash:
>
> - Do you own one of these products, and can you confirm whether or not
> the appropriate written GPL license(s) and "Offer For Source" is
> included in the box with it?
>
> - Have you contacted the company about GPL source availability, possibly
> pointing them to the gpl-violations.org Vendor FAQ?
>
> - Where is the company based?
>
> Hth.
>
> Angus.
>
> [1]
> http://forum.xtreamer.net/mediawiki-1.15.1/index.php/Xtreamer_Source-code#Xtreamer_GPL_Code

AFAIR, Realtek provides the modified Linux kernel sources for the SOC
used in the Xtreamer, but that's just it. You can't pretty much do
anything with it, unless you have the rest of the userspace
applications on that system. Anything interesting on that platform,
is in the userspace application.

Regards,
Manu