Possible GPL violation by Acronis Inc.
t-one at weltfremd.at
Wed Nov 25 14:56:39 CET 2009
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
some days ago i found a imaging backup solution from Acronis Inc. (www.acronis.com) which includes a
special rescue system to boot from a CD, Acronis TrueImage (Home/Netbook/Workstation...what ever..).
I've never used that rescue system until 6 weeks ago.
The Rescue System uses busybox v1.13.4 (as given in the console) with dhclient, samba-client and
some other stuff...
I checked the supplied documentation and the wrapping of that product but i cant find any hints
regarding the GPL/LGPL so i've examined there homepage and i found this licensing part:
Acronis has the following GPL/LGPL sources used in our products:
* Linux software (used on the rescue media); the GPL license.
* Fox (a graphical library, used in all our products); the LGPL license.
* "Mouse" driver (a DOS driver used by Acronis OS Selector); the GPL license.
* UPX (The Ultimate Packer for eXecutables); the UPX License Agreement.
If you want to receive the appropriate source code for the software listed above, please submit a
request to Acronis Technical Support.
This licensing info is also pretty good hidden, i just found it via the search term GPL in the
So i contacted the support via there request system last month to obtain these sources, but i didn't
get any answer so far.
1. As far as i know a copy of the gpl must be shipped with the product, but thats definitely not the
2. I dont know if its legitimate to put the whole kernel stuff, busybox, the dhcp and samba parts
just under the licensing-term "Linux software".
3. I dont have direct access to those sources, it depends on the willingness of the support-worker
whether i'll get those or not, and at the moment i'm waiting about 4 weeks to get an answer.
Can someone advise me what i should do next?
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the legal