LGPL v2 section 6 loophole?

Sitaram Chamarty sitaramc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 14:48:13 CEST 2009

someone asked me an interesting question.

LGPL v2, at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/library.html
section 6, says things like this:

  - "...so that the user can modify the Library and then relink to
produce a modified executable containing the modified Library"

  - "...include any data and utility programs needed for reproducing
the executable from it"

all these are fine, but there seems to be nothing precluding the
closed source app from refusing to run with a modified LGPL library!
You're only assuring that an executable is produced, not that this
executable can be run and will behave substantially the same as the
original one (modulo any problems caused by the new library or API
changes or whatever).

Is this reading correct?

I assume it is, because this is essentially Tivo-isation, and we know
that was not covered in V2.