Apple is violating the GPL with its Mac OS X EULA and lawsuit against Psystar

Thomas Charron twaffle at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 06:19:45 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 10:07 PM, Erik Warner <erik_warner_tx at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Apple filed a suit against computer maker Psystar for selling computers preloaded with legally-purchased copies of Mac OS X. Apple is basing the suit on Mac OS X's restrictive EULA, which attempts to prohibit installing Mac OS X on non-Apple hardware. The problem for Apple is that Mac OS X includes software licensed under the GPLv2 and LGPLv2, both of which expressly prohibit placing additional restrictions on software covered by the GPLv2 and LGPLv2. Apple's attempt to place a restrictive EULA on software they do *NOT* own copyright to, software whose licenses (GPLv2 and LGPLv2) expressly prohibit placing additional restrictions on downstream recipients, constitutes a massive violation of the GPLv2 and LGPLv2.

  You are insinuating that the GPL has 'infected' OSX.  This is quite
obviously not the case.  They didn't place any restrictions on the GPL
components.  They aren't suing anyone for that at all.  What they ARE
going after is a company selling quite obviously cheap hardware using
Apples stuff.

  Apple has given back to the community or projects.  They choose not
to open THEIR stuff.  That is their right.  Don't like it?  Don't use
it.  If you are stating that all of these GPL applications are
actually, in fact, part of the operating system, I'm sure Microsoft
would LOVE to hear this obviously overlooked fact so they can once
again call internet explorer, 'part of the operating system'.

--
-- Thomas