GPL violations continue by OEM manufacturers using Sigma systems SDK

Iain Barker ibarker at aastra.com
Thu Feb 1 18:20:26 CET 2007

Three years on, and still I am finding OEM customers of Sigma who are shipping product without GPL compliance...

I purchased a Galaxy IPTV last week, it is running uCLinux 2.4 and an embedded distro very similar to the previous Sigma EM8500 SDK on my Liteon DVD player (which was also a GPL violation, see below).

No mention of the GPL license was provided with the Galaxy unit, no offer of source code etc.
http://www.galaxymetalgear.com/Products/3500IPTV.html

Although Sigma did release the GPL source for the kernel in their SDK via the UCLinux site "on behalf of their customers", the OEMs are continuing to sell products which are in violation of GPL.

If you want to look at a similar firmware for confirmation of the Linux/GPL content, try here: http://www.galaxymetalgear.com/Firmware/galaxy_v2.0.10.41.zip