Hanlin eReader v3

Mikhail Gusarov dottedmag at dottedmag.net
Wed Dec 12 19:41:52 CET 2007

Gentlemen,

I tried to send this mail to license-violation at gpl-violations.org as
stated in FAQ, but got no answer, so copying mail here.

I've downloaded the firmware for Hanlin eBook v3, freely downloadable
from the Jinke (Hanlin producer) site:
http://www.jinke.com.cn/Compagesql/English/service/update.asp

Firmware contains patched Linux kernel, many GPL-licensed components and
is provided only in binary form. I did not find the directions how to
request the source code for the firmware on the site nor in the firmware
itself (actually it is binary blob).

Participants of OpenInkpot project have investigated contents of
firmware and put the summary of all GPL-ed and non-GPL-ed components on
this page: http://openinkpot.org/wiki/BinariesLicenseInvestigation

I'm asking for help for politely asking the Jinke for the source code
for

* patched kenel (including eInk driver, IC2201B chip driver,
  startup/shutdown logo code, MTD partitioning code, .config and build
  system)

* patched GPL-licensed userspace libraries and binaries (unfortunately
  nano-X they mofidied is under MPL)

* libraries and binaries wrote by the Hanlin developers which link to
  the GPL-licensed libraries.

We did not contact yet copyright holders for the glibc, libstdc++,
jbig-kit, apmsleep, fltk, unrar, djvulibre and libchm about the
permissions to use their work in the Hanlin (I doubt it).

JID: dottedmag at jabber.dottedmag.net